The bailey castle of Plessis-Grimoult (Calvados)
The fortified site of Plessis-Grimoult is presented in the form of an oval curtain wall 50 to 60 metres in diameter, made of earth ramparts at the top of which stand the remains of a fortified gate and a small masonry tower. During the 11th century, this was the property of Grimoult du Plessis who took an active role in the uprising of the barons against William the Bastard. After his victory at the battle of Val-es-Dunes in 1047, the Duke made a gift of this confiscated property to the Bayeux cathedral.
The digs carried out between 1967 and 1971 showed signs of occupation of the site between the beginning of the 10th century and the mid-11th century. Archaeological artefacts, although rare, are characteristic of a castral site, and this creates a picture of the standard of living of the lower and middle-ranking aristocracy of the Duchy.
Plessis-Grimoult (Calvados) : the archaeological finds