Caen (Calvados), church of St Julien
The church of Saint-Julien appears in texts dating from c. 1150 as a property of the Order of Templars. The church was badly damaged during the Hundred Years War, but was rebuilt during the second half of the 15th century. It was again destroyed, with the exception of its portal, during the bombing leading up to the liberation of the town in 1944. Excavations carried out at the site between 1998 and 1990 found evidence of the foundations of an earlier building constructed during the period between the 7th and 8th centuries. The Romanesque church that succeeded it incorporated into its foundations a part of the ground plan of the earlier building. The same phenomenon occurred in the 15th century at the time of the construction of the new church. Many lapidary fragments from the 12th century were re-used in the foundations of the gothic church.
Caen (Calvados), church of St Julien : the archaeological finds