Ouistreham (Calvados)
Church of St Samson


Second third of the 12th century 

This block of twin capitals originates from the church of Saint-Samson (Ouistreham, Calvados). It was carved in limestone during the second third of the 12th century.
The right capital is decorated with small palms with finger-like lobes. The stems extend upwards and culminate in a corner volute.
The one of the left is decorated with a mask, and possibly anthropomorphic. A plant decoration commences in the mouth of the character and develops either side of it in beaded cords culminating in small palms with a pine cone. 

Dimensions of the object
H. 0.25 m ; l. 0.48 m : Prof . 0.19 m  

- Loisel C, Inventaire de la collection lapidaire romane réunie par la Société des Antiquaires de Normandie, Mémoire de maîtrise, Université de Caen, 1972
- Thybert H, Inventaire du lapidaire roman du Musée de Normandie, Association  Caen-Archéologie, 1992

Musée de Normandie, Caen, Calvados
DSAN 83 1218 057, Dépôt de la Société des Antiquaires de Normandie