Caen (Calvados), Abbey church of the Holy Trinity (Abbaye-aux-Dames)


Last third of the 11th century

This capital originates from the Trinité church, in the Abbaye-aux-Dames, in Caen (Calvados). It was carved in limestone during the last third of the 11th century.
The front face presents a small palm treated in flat relief. On the lower part of the corbel, two crook scrolls face a bird whose body in bas-relief follows the curve of the corbel. Crook scrolls and small palm decorations of this type belong to the Romanesque decorative style of the first period of construction of the Trinité church. This capital was copied again at the fifth arch of the north side of the nave.

Dimensions of the object
H. 0.35 m ; l.  0.49m ; Prof 0.34 m ; Rayon ast. 0.21 m

- Loisel C, Inventaire de la collection lapidaire romane réunie par la Société des Antiquaires de Normandie, Mémoire de maîtrise, Université de Caen. 1972
- Thybert H, Inventaire du lapidaire roman du Musée de Normandie, Association Caen-Archéologie, Caen, 1992

Musée de Normandie, Caen, Calvados
DSAN 83 1218 009, Dépôt de la Société des Antiquaires de Normandie