Caen (Calvados), Abbey church of the Holy Trinity (Abbaye-aux-Dames)


First third of the 12th century 

This corner capital originates from the Trinité church, in the Abbaye-aux-Dames, in Caen (Calvados). It was carved in limestone during the first third of the 12th century.
A stylised animal head, which is very feline, covers the corbel. The almond-shaped eyes are circled by a collaret; the pupils are drilled with a trepan. The nose occupies the corner and the mouth is wide open to swallow the shaft of the column, revealing its semicircular fangs. The embossed and pointed ears decorate the spaces in the upper corners. A broken line runs over the astragal.

Dimensions of the object
H. 0.25 m ; l. 0.23 m ; Prof.  0.18 m

- Loisel C, Inventaire de la collection lapidaire romane réunie par la Société des Antiquaires de Normandie, Mémoire de maîtrise, Université de Caen, 1972
- Thybert H, Inventaire du lapidaire roman du Musée de Normandie, Association Caen-Archéologie, 1992

Musée de Normandie, Caen, Calvados
DSAN 83 1218 002, Dépôt de la Société des Antiquaires de Normandie