retour au pays du Bessin cliquez ici pour consulter l'album photographique Englesqueville-la-Percée
(Canton of Trevières, Calvados)

Manorial residence of Beaumont-le-Richard

   The former village of Beaumont was in the 12th century a powerful seigniory, associated with the Bishop of Bayeux. The castle was built on the summit of a hill. It takes its name from Richard du Hommet, baron of Varanguebec, constable of Normandy, who died in c. 1200 hence the name : Beaumont-le-Richard. With the decline of the seigniory, the castle was replaced by an agricultural concern, which was an activity still being pursued until the Second World War. This change led to many alterations. Two Romanesque buildings are preserved in the southwest of the group. This is a residential block and a great hall, dating from the mid-12th century. The residential block which is very well-preserved presents a room on the first floor, under a vaulted room, which has been considerably re-worked during the 17th century, preceded by an antechamber (?) decorated with Romanesque arches. The rectangular great hall consists of a nave and an aisle. The castle of Beaumont-le-Richard is one of the only examples of a manorial residence from the 12th century still standing.


- Caumont, Arcisse (de). - Statistique monumentale du Calvados, Hardel, Caen, 1859, T. II, p.780-781
- Mesqui, Jean. - Châteaux forts et fortification en France, Flammarion, Paris, 1997, p. 51-52