The western wall is all that remains of the square keep which still has its four round towers at its corners resting on a polygon base which originally occupied the corners. The bays are fully arched and the rooms do not appear to have been vaulted but simply given flooring.
The structure is probably quite late, generally dating from the last quarter of the 12th century. As a significant part of the castle, it could have post-dated the reign of John Lackland (1199-1216) and the loss of Normandy (1204). It was only in 1203 that its lord, Etienne de Longchamp, received permission to fortify his residence.
The wall in freestone, flanked by four towers with archery slits, dates from the first half of the 13th century.
The site was probably abandoned during the Hundred Years War.
- Monuments de la région de
l’Andelle et de Lyons, Nouvelles de l’Eure, 51, juin 1974, p. 48-59, spécialement
- Baume A., Les châteaux-forts et leur contexte historique dans la région des luttes franco-normandes (911-1204), Mémoire de maîtrise, Université de Rouen, ex. dactyl. cons. aux Arch. dép. Seine-Maritime (1mi 993), 1975, p. 182-183.
- Beck B., Châteaux-forts de Normandie,, Rennes, 1986, p. 145.
- Joulain D., L’Eure des Plantagenêts, Connaissance de l’Eure, 89-90, juillet-octobre 1993, p. 49-53, spécialement p. 50.