The abbey of Notre-Dame in Ivry-la-Bataille was founded by Roger d’Ivry, cup-bearer to William the Conqueror, in 1071. It was ravaged in the Religious wars and then transformed into a factory and finally burned down in 1869. The gateway is the only survival dating from the third quarter of the 12th century.
It shows the dissemination of influences from the neighbouring Ile de France, and can be compared to the west door of Chartres. The style and some construction problems also seem to support the theory that the greater part of the gateway was built by a workshop originating from outside Normandy.
- Annuaire des cinq départements de la Normandie, congrès de 1995
- Les siècles romans en Basse-Normandie, Art de Basse-Normandie, n° 92, Printemps 1985, p. 101
- Musset, Lucien. - Normandie romane, 2, Haute-Normandie, Zodiaque, 1974, p. 291