The priory of Saint-Lambert de Fosses-les-Nassandres or, currently Saint-Eloi, was a possession of the abbey of Bec. it was founded in 1126 by the local lord, Guillaume de Thibouville who gave it a small church which still retains, despite re-working in the 15th, 16th and 19th centuries, its choir with two spans and a vaulted apse in 'cul-de-four' or semi cupola format whose flint walls using abundant mortar, are strengthened by three half columns in freestone, forming buttresses.
Elements are generally re-used in the adjoining accommodation which consists of two Romanesque vaulted spans with massive square piers (porch, narthex or gallery linking to former nave?).
Coutil L., La chapelle Saint-Eloi de Nassandres, Recueil de la société libre
d’agriculture, des sciences, arts et Belles-Lettres de l’Eure, VIIe série,
V, 1917, p. 159-276.
- Dictionnaire des églises de France, Belgique, Luxembourg, Suisse, IVB, Normandie, Paris, 1968, p. 76 (notice de M. Baudot).
- Musset L., Normandie romane, 2. Haute-Normandie, La Pierre-qui-Vire, 1974, p. 35.