retour au pays d'Auge cliquez ici pour consulter l'album photographique Lisieux
(Canton of Lisieux, Calvados)

Cathedral of Saint-Pierre

   The very gothic cathedral of Lisieux in its northern transept crossing shelters a tomb stone without inscription dating from the Romanesque period, which was discovered in 1847.
The effigy is that of a bishop giving a blessing, whose crosier pierces a dragon with its spike, which the bishop is crushing underfoot.

This is the work of one of the Tournai stone workshops, which had an excellent reputation during the middle ages, and whose stylistic dating enables one to suppose that it could have belonged to the tomb of Bishop Jean, who died in 1142.


- Lisieux, Art de Basse-Normandie, n° 89-90-91, Hiver 1984-85, p. 35, 108
- Les siècles romans en Basse-Normandie, Art de Basse-Normandie, n°92, Printemps 1985, p. 136