The first reference to the bishopric of Coutances dates from 511. A cathedral probably existed at this time. The building was razed to the ground by the Normans in 900 during the taking of the town, and was rebuilt from 1030 and completed by bishop Geoffroy de Montbray. It was dedicated in 1056. The Romanesque cathedral stood until the beginning of the 13th century, when it was replaced by the gothic building created under the episcopacies of Hugues de Morville and his successors.
- Mussat, André. “ La cathédrale Notre-Dame de Coutances ”, dans Congrès archéologique de France, CXXIVe session, 1966, Cotentin et Avranchin, Société Française
d’Archéologie, Paris, 1966, p. 9 à 56.
- Dictionnaire des églises de France, Robert Laffont, Paris, 1968, T. IVb, p. 49 à 52.
- Fournée, Jean. “ Visite de la cathédrale Notre-Dame ”, dans Art de Basse-Normandie, Coutances, ville d’art, n° 95, 1er trimestre 1987, p. 68 à 107.