Liste des sites du Cotentin

cliquez ici pour consulter l'album photographique Savigny
(canton of Cerisy-la-Salle, Manche)

Church of Notre-Dame

    The church of Savigny was a priory and a dependency of the collegiate of Sainte-Barbe-en-Auge. It mostly dates from the end of the 11th century and early 12th century. The nave, whose walls retain traces of fish bone pattern bonding, gives onto the choir, via a bay which was re-worked in the 15th century and flanked in the 16th and 17th centuries by two chapels forming a transept. The choir culminates in an apse, currently disfigured by a modern sacristy. The building retains a remarkable collection of wall paintings which are mostly from the 14th century, as well as an interesting Romanesque sculpted decoration.
Among the sculpted elements, the cornice brackets in the choir, including the representation of Samson fighting a lion, the arcatures of the apse with heavily restored historiated capitals (griffins, lions, and doves drinking from an urn) and two reliefs outside the apse, now in the sacristy. Above a bay a monolithic lintel shows a centaur armed with a bow and arrow hunting a deer, a theme which is also found on the tympanum of Urville-Bocage. A remarkable relief moved to under the arch above the lintel represents Christ in Majesty and dates from 1130-1140.


- Beaurepaire, Eugène (de). " Les découvertes de l’église de Savigny, près de Coutances ", dans Bulletin de la Société des Antiquaires de Normandie, T. XVI, 1894
- Dictionnaire des églises de France, Robert Laffont, Paris, 1968, T. IV b, p. 150
- Musset, Lucien. – Normandie romane, Zodiaque, La Pierre-Qui-Vire, 1987, 2 vol., T. 1, p. 298-299
- " Les siècles romans en Basse-Normandie ", dans Art de Basse-Normandie, n° 92, Printemps 1985, p. 126-127, 132