Liste des sites de la Campagne de Caen

cliquez ici pour consulter l'album photographique Caen
(canton de Caen, Calvados)

Parish Church of St George

    No trace remains of the original church, founded probably in the 10th century, and of the Romanesque church, which succeeded it in about 1100, only the nave walls survive. The reconstruction of the choir and important modifications between the end of the Hundred Year's War (1450) and the beginning of the 16th century has given the church its present appearance. The main entrance set in the west gable wall was destroyed in 1944 and was not replaced in the latest restoration.
From the days of the Conqueror until the 18th c., St George was a parish church for the inhabitants, both civilians and soldiers, who lived in the castle. The church is often mistaken with the ducal chapel of St George, destroyed in 1944.


- Mémoires du château de Caen / textes réunis par Jean-Yves Marin et Jean-Marie Levesque. - Caen : Musée de Normandie. Paris : Skira-Seuil, 2000. - 176 p
- Il castello di Caen in Normandia : Nuovi rilievi alle strutture architettoniche, contributi per il restauro e la valorizzazione / a cura di Luigi Marino. - Firenze : Università di Firenze, Dipartimento di Storia dell'Architettura e Restauro delle Strutture Architettoniche. Ville de Caen, Musée de Normandie, 2000, 31 p
- Le Château de Caen / Michel de Boüard. - Caen : CRAM, 1979, 149 p