Genêts was a point from where pilgrims could embark on crossing the bay to reach the abbey of Mont St Michel. The church of Notre Dame and St Sebastian at Genêts, a dependency of the Abbey of Mont St Michel, was rebuilt in the 12th century, under the rule of Abbot Robert of Thorigny and consecrated in 1157. It was badly damaged during the Hundred Years War, and was partly rebuilt during the 14th century.
The church, in granite, consists of a wide nave, which has been heavily re-worked, preceded by a porch, transepts, a crossing topped by a tower, and a flat east end of the 13th century, flanked by two chapels. Only the transepts and tower survive of Robert de Thorigny's original church.
Barbaroux, Jean. – Eglises de la Manche, Nouvelles éditions latines,
Paris, p. 10-11
- Dictionnaire des églises de France, Robert Laffont, Paris, 1968, T. IVb, p. 78-79
- Martin-Demézil, Jean. “ Eglise de Genêts ”, dans Congrès archéologique de France, CXXIVe session, 1966, Cotentin et Avranchin, Société Française d’Archéologie, Paris , 1966, p. 378 à 385