Domesday Book (1086) records the existence of eight parish churches in York, and at least one other is known from archaeology. Further churches were founded after the Conquest and there were c. 45 by 1300. Churches in which there is fabric datable to the Norman period include the following:
St Denys, Walmgate: Reset south door with an arch of five orders featuring beak heads and a range of floral and other motifs.
St John's, Micklegate: The base of a late12th century tower built on to an aisleless nave of c. 1150.
St Lawrence, Lawrence Street: Formerly a 12th century church with a west tower which is all that survives. The Norman north door is reset on its east wall. It has an arch of four orders featuring acanthus scrolls, monsters, and other motifs.
St Margaret, Walmgate: A late 12th century south porch brought from St Nicholas leper hospital. The ornate outer doorway has an arch of four orders and a hood-mould featuring a variety of motifs including the labours of the months, signs of the zodiac, and assorted beasts and figures.
St Michael, Spurriergate: Late 12th century nave arcades with three (originally five) bays. The piers, which were heightened in the 15th century, have waterleaf capitals.
See also: Church of St Mary Bishophill Junior
Pevsner, D. and Neave, D., 1995. The Buildings of England, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding (London, Penguin), 165-74
Wilson, B. and Mee, F., 1998. The Medieval Parish Churches of York, The Archaeology of York Supplementary Series (York)
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), 1972. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. 3: South-west of the Ouse (London, HMSO)
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), 1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York; 5: The Central Area (London, HMSO)