After the Norman Conquest the manor and church of Foston became the property of Stephen of Aumale, Lord of Holderness, who granted them to St Mary's Abbey in York. The church today remains basically as it was constructed in 1130 - 40, although a north aisle was added in 1911. The Norman chancel arch has fine roll mouldings typical of its date, but of particular interest is the lavishly carved south door. Motifs include a series of medallions on the hood mould which bear a range of scenes such as St George and the dragon, King David with his harp and, at the apex, the Last Supper.
Pevsner, N., 1966. The Buildings of England, Yorkshire: the North Riding (London, Penguin), 164-5
Wood, R., 1996. 'The Romanesque doorway at Foston', Yorkshire Philosophical Society, Annual Report, 67-75