The manor of Alne belonged to the Archbishop of York at the time of the Conquest and was subsequently given to the Minster Treasurer. The church dates in large part to c. 1150 and consists of a nave, chancel and west tower. The only substantial later addition is the north aisle. Of particular interest is the south door, although it is now badly eroded. Two of the original three orders survive. The inner order consists of fifteen medallions bearing representations of the zodiac and labours of the months. Nine of the original nineteen medallions, seven with Latin inscriptions, survive of the outer order. They depict animals, both real and imaginary, drawn from a contemporary bestiary. Other 12th century features include the tower arch, corbels on the chancel and the lintel on the priest's door bearing a worn relief of a dragon held by two eagles. A fine Norman font has a band of foliage scrolls.
Pevsner, N., 1966. The Buildings of England, Yorkshire: the North Riding (London, Penguin), 59-60